Preparatory, Assignment 1 a + b
Week 26-32 (Jun 24 ‐ Aug 5)
John Thackara: Click on these: Readings by John Thackara
Cheryl Akner Koler Please explore these pages to learn about Haptics in relation to the design and culinary art experience.
VÄRT: is are support partner for meals at Hjulsjö.
Assignment 1 is conducted at a distance. Students should do the work individually at their own pace, wherever they are, submitting Assignment 1 digitally on the due dates.
The work for Assignment 1 consists of 2 parts:
(1a) Introduce yourself! asap! DUE June 24th 17:00 CET
(1b) local Food System poster/map DUE Aug 5th 17:00 CET
(1a) Introduce yourself
This information about you is to help us address your interests for the Workshop Week.
- Download this word document: Introduce-yourself_2019+
- Fill in the form and send it to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DUE June 24th
(1b) Prepare your local Food System poster
Watch the introductory video-talks by John Thackara
- Talk 1: The Metabolic Rift write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : email@example.com)
- Talk 2: Ecological Agriculture write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Talk 3: Social Farming write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : email@example.com)
In Assignment 1b you should describe the steps by which you would embark on a Back To The Land 2.0 relationship through mapping a local food system. In a poster / map format, describe the links needed to make new city-rural connections happen – based on where you live, study, or work.
- The format is a poster A3 page (max 3 mb) – put your name on the page in the lower right hand corner! For more inspiration to posters see, Pinterest
- Email the poster to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DUE August 5th 13:00 CET
To start the assignment, choose a food system that is personal and local to you! ‘Local’ could refer to the region, culture or home.
This poster should:
- show the geographical area with the key people, locations, activities & ecological systems in your local area
- show how key actors in the food system are connected to each other now (- or not) and who is involved in producing, consuming, creating, profiting, care-taking, preserving, etc.
- show the relationships between actors (and places) you will add, or improve, by design
- show what infrastructures and systems are involved, how do they work
- include a tweet (including hashtags) to be used to launch the poster.
Inspiration for this poster :
Finally – Once you have completed Assignment 1b and sent the poster, take some time to reflect on what you have found most meaningful in this work. What is the most important question you are holding at this moment? (What has surprised you and where do feel resistance.)
To hand in your assignment, email: email@example.com. The teaching team will print your A3 PDF and bring it to the Workshop Week, where you will also present orally. You will share this during course introduction in your interest group.