Preparatory, Assignment 1 a + b
Week 26-32 (Jun 11 ‐ Aug 6)
Update 2018.02.19 Next update Jun1
John Thackara: Click on these: Readings by John Thackara How_to_Thrive in the Next Economy _Press_
Annika Göran Rodell: Go to Presencing Institutes homepage and look at the links: Theory U, on the left column click on Executive Summaries and Principles. See also from Ego-system to Eco-system Economies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcbB1I__BmM
Cheryl Akner Koler: Please read this article Integrating Sensitizing Labs in an Educational Design Process for Haptic Interaction
Assignment 1 is conducted at a distance. Students should do the work individually at their own pace, wherever they are, submitting Assignment 1 digitally on the due dates.
The work for Assignment 1 consists of 2 parts:
(1a) Introduce yourself! asap! DUE Tuesday Aug 6th 17:00 CET
(1b) local Food System poster/map DUE Sunday Aug 6th 17:00 CET
(1a) Introduce yourself
This information about you is to help us address your interests for the Workshop Week.
- Download this word document: Introduce-yourself
- Fill in the form and send it to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DUE Tuesday Aug 6th 17:00 CET
(1b) Prepare your local Food System poster
Watch the introductory video-talks by John Thackara
- Talk 1: The Metabolic Rift write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : email@example.com)
- Talk 2: Ecological Agriculture write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Talk 3: Social Farming write a short reflective text (4-6 sentences)_Send to : email@example.com)
In Assignment 1b you should describe the steps by which you would embark on a Back To The Land 2.0 relationship through mapping a local food system. In a poster / map format, describe the links needed to make new city-rural connections happen – based on where you live, study, or work.
- The format is a poster A3 page (max 3 mb) – put your name on the page! For more inspiration to posters see, Pinterest
- Email the poster to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DUE Sunday August 6 17:00 CET
To start the assignment, choose a food system that is personal and local to you! ‘Local’ could refer to the region, culture or home.
This poster should:
- show the geographical area with the key people, locations, activities & ecological systems in your local area
- show how key actors in the food system are connected to each other now (- or not) and who is involved producing, consuming, creating, profiting, care-taking, preserving, etc.
- show the relationships between actors (and places) you will add, or improve, by design
- show what infrastructures and systems are involved, how do they work
- include a tweet (including hashtags) to be used to launch the poster.
Inspiration for this poster :
Finally – Once you have completed Assignment 1b and sent the poster, take some time to reflect on what you have found most meaningful in this work. What is the most important question you are holding at this moment? (What has surprised you and where do feel resistance.)
To hand in your assignment, email: email@example.com. The teaching team will print your A3 PDF and bring it to the Workshop Week, where you will also present orally. You will share this during course introduction.